Mind you, my boys need new socks, underwear and a toothbrush every year, so they have come to expect those sorts of things in their Christmas stockings. No need for a spoiler alert.
I enjoy giving. I like thinking about someone and wondering what I could give them that would make them smile and know that they are loved. The gift doesn’t always have to be a grand gesture, shiny and expensive. As corny as it may sound, I believe it truly is the thought that counts.
Last year I wracked my brain trying to think of something to give my oldest son, other than just new socks, underwear and a toothbrush. Corey was working full-time as a gas jockey at the nearby Co-op gas station and often came home with pockets full of change from tips. Once he would accumulate a significant amount of coin, he would spend time sitting at the table rolling the coins. Lightbulb moment! It took me trips to at least 3 different stores, but I finally found what I was looking for – a battery operated coin sorter. I had fun shopping around for that gift, but enjoyed even more watching Corey open it up on Christmas morning and seeing his response. Watching his eyes light up was his gift to me.
“It is better to give than to receive”, so the saying goes. I believe that to be true for me. Of course, I won’t ever say no to receiving!
WHAT CAN I GIVE HIM?
by Christina Rossetti
"What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part.
Yet what can I give Him?
Give my heart."
No comments:
Post a Comment