It’s nearly May and some stubborn patches of snow
that have not succumbed to the spring thaw still remain in our yard. It’s probably not for a lack of trying, but these mounds
of dirty white snow are unlucky enough to be in perpetual shade, so they’re
always the last to ebb away.
The long winter, or late spring, seems to be a topic of conversation
everywhere. I think it’s safe to say
that we’ve all had enough and the reality of warmer, sunny weather is a real
morale booster. I was picking up a
package at the Sears catalogue counter on Friday evening and the Sears employee
was practically bursting at the seams waiting to tell me that she had taken off
her cardigan sweater. Not in a creepy
way ... she was just so excited that it was actually warm enough to need to
remove the cardigan! I reciprocated her
excitement and shared with her that I was out and about without socks in my
shoes.
There are certain sights and smells to spring that I
love. I work in downtown Winnipeg, in
one of the buildings at the iconic corner of Portage & Main. You know it’s spring when the hot dog vendors
are out on the corner and you smell the BBq’s firing up and the smokies
cooking. Last week we had some
precipitation (wet snow), and the distinct smell of wet cement that you only
smell when it rains in spring or summer hit me and I knew we were getting close
(even though it was still just wet snow).
When the mercury climbs, more people are out and about. No need to bundle up and stay indoors; now is
the time to start getting out into the fresh air. I did see an interesting sight the other day
... I saw an older couple and the lady had an odd hat on her greying,
dirty-blonde shoulder-length hair. As I
walked past, I realized it wasn’t a hat as I had thought, but a short
brown woman’s wig or a man’s toupee. I'm fairly certain that’s not a new look for spring or a new fad, at least I hope not! I guess it was too warm for a toque, but cool enough to warrant some sort of covering on the head.
I don’t, however, like that period of time when the
snow starts to melt until it warms a bit and the green starts to emerge through
the brown. I’m not a fan of the
brown. My youngest son once said that if
he could, he would move away at springtime, to get away from the “snirt”, but
would come back when everything was green again. “Snirt”, as I learned from my son, is that brown,
gritty stuff left behind at the end of winter; a combination of “snow” and “dirt”.
The sun was shining earlier this morning, but the clouds
have moved over again. This past Friday we (Winnipeg) hit our
highest temperature since October. It
was a beautiful day and the temperature was actually in the mid-teens. But 6 months is a long time to be out in the
cold. I never used to think that I was
one of those people who were affected emotionally by a lack of sunlight, but as
I grow older, I think I feel it more. I
find it interesting that the acronym for “Sunlight Affective Disorder” is SAD,
because that’s sort of how I feel when the sun is behind the clouds.
I’m glad spring is finally emerging. I don’t
want to be SAD anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment