This summer, my husband and son worked together and
constructed a new mailbox for our house.
I had wanted an old fashioned mailbox on a post for quite some time and it
finally got done! I believe the ultimate
plan was to put the house number on the mailbox too, which might be helpful,
but I’m quite pleased with my new mailbox just the way it is!
I’ve always loved getting mail. I moved away from home to go to Bible School
when I was 18 and writing a letter home became a weekly exercise for me. My mother and I wrote letters back and forth
to each other every week for a number of years.
These were actual pen and paper, envelope and stamp letters, before the
days of e-mail, texting and chatting online.
Once my mother got her computer connected to the internet, we
embraced e-mail. I hardly ever have stamps on hand now.
I have shoeboxes filled with letters that my mother wrote to me,
stored away in a corner of the basement.
I also have an envelope of letters that my father wrote to me; these
were fewer and far between, and all of them fit into one envelope. I loved getting the letters from my mother
where she shared what was going on in their lives day to day, but getting a letter
from my father felt like winning the lottery to me. These letters were words from his heart, and
the words he wrote then are still precious words for me today.
Written March 11, 1984:
“I just got home from male choir practice and we are learning a new Spiritual called “Keep in the Middle of the Road”. I always need guidance for that for everything – how about you? Spiritually, we all need the guidance of His Word and the Holy Spirit to walk in the middle of the road – so many don’t know that they are playing into Satan’s hands by walking to one side or the other with the possibility of slipping into the ditch easily – spiritually. I trust you make every effort to live and walk in such a manner that the possibility of going off the Spiritual road of life is reduced to zero.
So much for my very personal message (preaching) to you is concerned. I love you very much and always pray and hope that you will experience God’s richest blessings for you. Walk in Him in total obedience and you will honor Him and He will constantly guide you.”
I miss getting those letters from home. I am trying to be more diligent reading “letters”
from my Heavenly Father every day. He
has good things to say too, and I know He loves me very much.
No comments:
Post a Comment