Sunday, November 4, 2012

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

This week I was the lucky winner of one of our firm’s United Way campaign activities. “Scary Larry”, a paper skeleton with lottery scratch tickets and cash stapled to it, can be won if your raffle ticket is drawn. This year I had the winning ticket.

Visions of big winnings danced through my head. Oh, how wonderful this was! But after spending a half hour scratching all those scratch tickets, all I had to show for it was a sore arm, the scratched garbage, and a whopping $7.

So many people are hopeful that lottery tickets and a big win will solve their financial problems and make everything better. I’m fairly convinced that I’m not destined to be a lottery winner. Of course, not buying lottery tickets increases the chances of not winning substantially.

I believe in a GOD who will supply all my needs. I believe He could supply my needs by supplying a winning lottery ticket, but then if I had all those winnings, would I still need Him?


I'd Rather Have Jesus
Rhea F. Miller, 1922
Copyright: Public Domain
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Refrain:
Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

No comments:

Post a Comment