Aging has never really been an issue that I have thought much about. As the saying goes, “You’re only as old as you feel.” I've never really felt old, and I think that has largely been because my boys have kept me feeling young.
But now, as my boys are growing older, I’m starting to feel old too. It might also have something to do with my creaking, aching knees, or the fact that I’m finding it much easier to read a book, or my Blackberry, with my lovely readers on. The last pair of glasses I bought are slightly progressive; I’m trying to ease into the progression to progressives slowly, not willing to admit that I really do need them.
This past week my sister’s youngest daughter celebrated her birthday. I saw the birthday reminder on Facebook that she was turning 18 and I thought it odd that my niece would have fudged on the year she was born to appear older, but I know of other kids who have done that. Clearly she couldn’t be turning 18 because she was born the year between two of my boys who are ... oh right ... they’re turning 19 and 17 this year. Okay. I’m feeling older.
Last weekend I watched the Super Bowl and Beyonce’s halftime show. While most of the viewers found it to be wildly entertaining, I was put off by it and thought the only thing missing was a stripper pole. In the back of my mind I heard the voice of my mother speaking to me as a young teenage girl encouraging me to conduct myself appropriately and to dress myself modestly. I look around and see how young women are dressing and carrying on these days, and I feel like I am a throwback from a different era completely. I’m feeling old.
There is no stopping aging or growing old. It’s just a fact of life. So if I’m only as old as I feel, how do I starting feeling younger?
© Inherit the Mirth. All rights reserved. -- inheritthemirth.com

No comments:
Post a Comment