In an effort to become more fit and healthy, I recently purchased a workout DVD, “Jillian Michaels: Ripped in 30”. The DVD has different workouts that are to be done during weeks 1 through 4, gradually increasing in intensity, obviously with the goal of becoming “ripped in 30”. I completed the first two weeks and felt really good (and fairly sore) and was highly motivated, and then got sick for a week and kind of fell off the wagon, if you will.
I was drawn to the idea of “Ripped in 30” hoping for some immediate results, acknowledging that I would, of course, need to put in the hard work and effort in order to get the maximum results. However if I have my workout shoes firmly planted in reality, and based on my current fitness level, if the title of the DVD were based on my own life, it may need to be renamed to:
• Ripped … in 60; or
• Ripped … in 90; or
• Ripped … if ever; or
• Ripped … that DVD in half due to physical pain and sheer frustration.
We want so badly to see immediate results, whether it be for a workout plan, weight loss, or freedom from debt, and we aren’t always willing to put in the hard work over the long haul that brings about the more permanent change that we ideally want.
I want to lose weight and become more physically fit, but am I willing to put in the time and effort to meal plan for more healthy eating, and schedule time in my day for exercise? Am I willing to make it a lifestyle change for the rest of my life, and not just for the rest of the month or until I lose “x” number of pounds?
I want to reduce our financial debt, but am I willing to watch my spending and stick to the budget? Am I willing to go without something I want if I don’t really need it?
Relationships, whether with spouse, family or friends, demand a lot of work and effort if they are to be long-lasting and meaningful. Relationships are a long-term investment of time and an emotional commitment. I'm not always very good at initiating face-to-face times with friends, but at the heart of it all, I want my friendships to be more than passing acquaintances. The strength of relational bonds are evidenced when one is there for the other in whatever circumstance arises, whether that situation is cause for celebration or a season of tears.
I would much rather add the ingredients of hard work, effort and patience to my life and relationships than have a moment of immediate gratification that offers little long-term satisfaction.
No comments:
Post a Comment