Sunday, March 31, 2013

He is risen!

Reported in the news this past week ...
"The principal of Heritage Elementary School in Madison, Alabama has banned the use of the word Easter in the school saying that it infringes on the rights of students.
Lydia Davenport explained the move, saying, “Kids love the bunny and we just try to make sure that we don’t say the ‘Easter Bunny’ so that we don’t infringe on the rights of others, because people relate the Easter bunny to religion. A bunny is a bunny and a rabbit is a rabbit.”
Huh? I’m sorry, which religion is the Easter bunny associated with? I’m pretty sure the Easter Bunny ranks right up there with Santa Claus as a secular institution with no religious affiliation. I did a quick word search at www.biblegateway.com and I’m just so shocked that there are absolutely no references to “bunny” in the Bible! (Oh, how I wish I had a “sarcasm” font.)

This is another example of political correctness at its best, or worst. People trying to bend over backwards so that they don’t offend anybody. As a person of faith, I’m actually not offended by this because the Easter Bunny and egg hunts have never symbolized Easter for me.

So what is Easter for me? Easter is the celebration of life, redemption, salvation, and the ultimate sacrifice.

On Good Friday, we remember that the Son of God, Jesus Christ was willingly nailed to the cross and crucified. He died as a sacrificial lamb, without blame Himself, taking on the sins of the whole world. He died for me.

On Easter Sunday, we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. Death had no hold on Him; the tomb is empty and Christ is alive. My Saviour is alive.

Do I live every day in celebration of the resurrection? Or am I stuck in “Good Friday” mode, grieving over my circumstances? My Saviour is alive. I want to live every day thankful for the life that He, Jesus Christ, has given me.

He is risen. He is risen, indeed.

Rich Mullins - Creed (Credo) from objektivonemusic on GodTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment