Sunday, March 10, 2013

Something is afoot ...

I recently started exercising more frequently in an effort to become more physically fit and generally healthier. In my effort to improve my fitness, I seem to have been waylaid by a little thing called plantar fasciitis. My goal to become “Ripped in 30 60 90” has become “Ripped in ... not sure when”.

According to bodyhealthcanada.com, “the plantar fascia is a relatively inflexible, strong, fibrous band on the bottom of the foot that supports the arch of your foot. Repetitive movements such as walking or running stretch the plantar fascia. Because it is not very flexible, this can cause small tears in the fascia, which leads to inflammation and pain.

A variety of causes exist for plantar fasciitis. Some of the most common causes include:

• excessive weight load on the foot due to obesity or prolonged standing
• mechanical imbalances of the foot
• osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
• sudden increase in body weight (e.g., pregnancy)
• sudden increase in walking or running
• tight calf muscles is a very common cause of the disorder
• wearing shoes with poor support, including flip-flops”

Excessive weight load due to obesity? Ouch. I’ll take “sudden increase in walking or running” and “wearing shoes with poor support” for $100, Alex. On the advice of my massage therapist whom I credit for diagnosing me, and according to all the information I have read online, I have put aside my comfy, albeit well-worn and nearly threadbare slippers, and have started wearing my Birkenstocks at all times in the house. No worries though - I’m not a socks in ‘stocks in public kind of gal.

I found a wonderful website with videos on how to do all of the stretches and exercises my massage therapist recommended, as well as a few others, including instructions on how to tape my foot for support. I have been diligent in stretching and strengthening, icing and taping, and my foot is definitely improving. Maybe I won’t share that information with my boys quite yet ... it’s been nice making them run up and down the stairs with the laundry hampers!

I read online that the prognosis for plantar fasciitis is quite good, but requires time to heal. “Most patients feel better in 9 months.” 9 months? Maybe that’s just for women with a sudden increase in body weight (e.g., pregnancy) ... which is definitely not me. I’m shooting for a much quicker time frame.

Time heals all wounds. But if plantar fasciitis were to be left untreated, would time wound all heels?

No comments:

Post a Comment