Wednesday, January 25, 2017

#BellLetsTalk



#BellLetsTalk Day is a great initiative which has done so much to broaden awareness of mental illness across Canada.

I think that as important as #BellLetsTalk is, encouraging people that are struggling with mental illness that there is freedom and acceptance to talk about that struggle, we need to make #BellLetsListen the action that follows.  Those who have become courageous enough to talk and share need to know that they are going to be heard.

My husband has lived with major depression for much of his adult life (40+ years) and has experienced the stigma associated with mental illness, especially growing up going to church.   Forty years ago, the Church had very little idea what to do with someone struggling with depression.

"Get out of bed!”

“Stop being so lazy!”

“Snap out of it!”

All the wrong things to say to someone who is struggling with mental illness.



Early in our marriage, I had no idea what a helpful response should be to someone struggling with mental illness.  Thank goodness for the internet.  I started researching depression and educating myself about causes and triggers, and how to respond in a positive way.     I even took a counselling course to learn how to listen beneath the words.  I definitely don’t do or say everything right all the time, but I hope I get it right much of the time

My husband actually has a Masters in Biblical Counselling, and he is quite self-aware.  That doesn’t mean that he is able to “flip the switch” and step out of his depression.   Mental illness doesn’t work that way.  Because he lives with depression, he is often willing to take the time to listen to someone in need and who is struggling.  He has a huge heart for young men who are dealing with mental illness, especially those young men that are the same ages as our sons.  He’s been where they are and can identify with their struggle.

So yes, let’s encourage openness and talking.  And when someone is brave enough to share the depths of their heart, their aches and fears, take the time to stop and just listen.

Hear them without having an agenda.  Be there, be present and be supportive.

Just listen.
 

#BellLetsTalk … #BellLetsListen

For more information:  http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/

1 comment: