Saturday, April 5, 2014

Now is the winter of our discontent ...

“Now is the winter of our discontent” were words penned by William Shakespeare in Richard III. 

That phrase, “winter of our discontent”, has been roiling around in my head for a couple of weeks, probably because it certainly seems to sum up the winter we have had, especially here in Winnipeg.  It has been 5 long months of cold temperatures and snow, and I think I can safely say many (if not all) of us have been discontented and discouraged by the duration of our winter season.

I took this picture of our backyard on April 1, 2014.   It's not an April Fool's joke - that's really how much snow we still have in our yard that needs to melt.  For a point of reference, the trampoline frame in the picture is at least 3 feet high.

Shakespeare followed up the words "Now is the winter of our discontent" with “made glorious summer by this sun of York”.  The “winter of our discontent”, the harsh cold realities of life, are remedied, or “made glorious summer”, by the “sun of York” and according to all the Internet notes I read on Richard III, Shakespeare's intent by those words was to communicate that the time of unhappiness is past. Shakespeare’s reference to “sun of York” was more of a comment on the person of Richard III than a weather forecast.
  
But winter will be “made glorious summer” eventually.  And my fellow ‘Peggers better not complain about the summer heat (when and if it comes!).  

There always seems to be something to be discontented about.

·         The weather ... if only it would warm up; if only the snow would melt; if only  spring would finally come ...
·         Finances ... if only we could pay off that bill; if only we could get ahead; if only we could win the lottery ..
·         Job situation ... if only he had a different job; if only I would be paid more ...
·         Self-image ... if only I could style my hair like the hairdresser does; if only I could lose some weight; if only I could be disciplined enough to exercise ...

What does contentment look like? 

Will all the ducks ever be lined up so that we are content in our circumstances?  Not likely.

I have been reminded and encouraged in a number of different ways lately that despite our circumstances, God wants me to worship Him;  to have a grateful heart;  to wake up in the morning and say “This is the day the Lord has made, and I will rejoice and be glad in it.”  (Psalm 118:24)

Perhaps being content in our circumstances is a choice to be made.  I will choose to love God and trust Him for all my needs.

To borrow from Shakespeare:  Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer ... by the Son of God and His great love for me.

Philippians 4:4,6-9,11-13
New Living Translation (NLT)
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
... Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.
11 ... I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment