Sunday, September 30, 2012

Always a mother

Job descriptions will come and go through life, but once a mother, always a mother. My husband and I are entering a different stage in parenting, one where our boys are getting old enough to make their own decisions and exercise their independence. Our two oldest are now of legal voting age in Canada, and in Manitoba, legal drinking age. Gone are the days when they were little and we could control the environment and influences. These are the days of exercising trust, encouraging wise decisions and praying for much wisdom.

As difficult as it is sometimes to let my boys “grow up” and test the waters of life, I’m recognizing that my role as a mother now is less as protector and more as supporter. The boys are becoming less dependent on me and don’t need me to protect them by ensuring the gate to the backyard is shut, or to kiss the “owies” to make the hurt go away. Now I welcome my boys’ friends to come into the backyard and into our home, wanting our home to be a safe place to gather. As the boys get older, the hurts they experience are different, whether from bruised egos, broken relationships, or other disappointments in life, and a simple kiss doesn’t make that kind of complex hurt go away.

As a mother, I am here to love my kids no matter what. I try and take every opportunity I can to let them know I love them, both verbally and through the things I do for them. The other day I had given Nathan a Kit Kat bar to eat during his volleyball tournament. Unfortunately I only had the one and so on the second day of the tournament I told him I would try and get him another one. As it happened, two young girls were at the tournament selling chocolate bars for a school fundraiser, so I bought a giant Kit Kat bar for Nathan to have after the tournament was over. I gave it to Nathan as we left the gym and he said, “Aww, you love me!” I certainly do, Nathan.

Being a mother has not always been easy, but I am so grateful for the sons God brought into our family. I may have different jobs in life and be known for different things, but I will always be a mother, and I think that is my greatest accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment