I think I’m fairly tolerant, but as I find myself disparaging those who I deem to be intolerant, doesn’t that then make me intolerant as well? It’s a vicious circle!
I believe tolerance is a choice. I believe tolerance is a sign of respect. When I choose tolerance, I choose to respect the other person, even if I don’t necessarily subscribe to their beliefs and lifestyle choices.
Ellen DeGeneres has a very popular daytime talk show. She’s very funny, and I believe she’s a great philanthropist who genuinely cares about others. But I believe that God defines marriage as the union between a man and a woman, and so I disagree with Ellen’s gay lifestyle choice. Even though I don’t agree with her lifestyle choices, I’m not lobbying the networks to have her show taken off the air. I am choosing to exercise tolerance and respect her choices. That’s sort of an extreme example since her life doesn’t really affect me in any practical way.
But how many people will say that because I have a different viewpoint, and because I believe in God and the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman, that I am intolerant of gays and their lifestyle choices?
As I follow articles and twitter feeds online, I am saddened at the level of intolerance shown to Christians and those who choose to live as followers of Jesus Christ. If I am expected to be tolerant of their viewpoint, shouldn't they be expected to be tolerant of mine? As a Christ-follower, I will continue to choose to respect others and exercise tolerance. As a Christ-follower, I am called to love my neighbour. I guess that's the difference between my tolerance and their intolerance.
1 John 3:11
New Living Translation (NLT)
This is the message you have heard from the beginning: We should love one another.
John 13:35
"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”
No comments:
Post a Comment