It’s hard for me to fathom that it was 29 years ago when I was 18 and left home in Ontario to go away to school in Manitoba. I’m on the other end of that situation now, having an 18 year-old son who has moved away from Manitoba to go to school in Alberta. Have times ever changed between then and now!
• Then, my mother and I corresponded weekly, writing out letters using pen and paper, envelopes and stamps. Good old snail mail! Now, I have to confess that I don’t even know the mailing address of Brendan’s residence on campus – just his email address!
• Then, it was a big deal when we got a phone call in the dorm, and hopefully you were in your room when someone answered and yelled down the hallway that the call was for you. Now, I’m not sure that there’s a phone in Brendan’s residence, but thank goodness for cell phones. I have to confess, though, that we actually haven’t spoken on the phone since he’s been gone, but I just counted 55 texts back and forth between the two of us this afternoon. (No worries – crisis averted!)
• Then, if I was running low on funds and needed some money, I had to make the phone call to ask for help, and then wait for the cheque in the mail. No debit cards or online banking then! Now, I can transfer money right in to Brendan’s account if necessary.
• Then, “technology” wasn’t nearly what it is today and if I can remember back that far, I think a walkman (with cassette tapes!) was something really special! Now, Brendan’s smartphone practically does more than my home computer! He’s got his phone and a laptop at his fingertips. I haven’t Skyped with him yet; might help if my computer actually had a web cam. Even now, I’m still behind the times!
I’m really thankful for the technology that makes it so much easier to stay in contact with Brendan. I’m really looking forward to being able to watch him play volleyball via web-cast! How great is it that I can still watch his games from far away!
Times certainly have changed from then to now. But one thing remains constant: parental love. Many years ago my parents released me to leave home, and then loved and supported me in all my decisions. And now, we’ve released Brendan to step out on his own and learn to be more independent, and I’m pretty sure he knows that he has our love and support wherever life may take him.
No comments:
Post a Comment